How is Wire Rope Made?
There are many characteristics of wire rope cable that determine the unique manufacturing process needed and influences how wire rope is made. A few of the many characteristics will be further explored below as well as the basic manufacturing process.
Characteristics of Wire Rope Cable
Basic Parts of Wire Rope – As shown below, there are 3 basic parts that comprise wire rope. The wire, the strand and the core all make up the wire rope. As further explained in the FAQ, “How to Determine the Strength of Wire Rope”, the number of wires and strands chosen for the wire rope are dependent upon the strength and flexibility needed for the specific project.
Lays of Wire Rope – The lays of wire rope refer to the direction that the cable and/or strand is twisted.
Wire Materials – There are many types of wire materials that can be used in making wire rope including Stainless Steel, Galvanized Steel, Tungsten, Nitinol, Vitallium, Inconel, Titaniam, and Molybdenum. Each material not only has different purposes and applications, but will also determine the overall strength of the rope.
Wire Coatings – Rope can either be coated or uncoated. Some of the wire coatings available include nylon, vinyl, FEP, polypropylene and polyethylene extruded coatings.
Additional Capabilities may include stress relieving, passivation, custom fittings and annealing.
Basic Manufacturing Process of Wire Rope Cable
- Individual wires are twisted into strands on a stranding machine. These twisting wires converge to the required diameter and make up a wire strand. The number of wires twisted together to make a strand is determined by the strength, flexibility and size of the wire rope needed.
- Wire strands are put through straighteners.
- Several wire strands are wound together around a core onto a closer machine and converge to the required wire rope diameter. The number of strands wound around the core are also determined by the strength, flexibility and size of the wire rope needed.
- Additional configurations and capabilities may be added to the wire rope including wire coatings, stress relieving, passivation and custom fittings, and annealing.
- Samples of the finished wire rope are tested in a quality control center to determine breaking points and how much pulling the cable can withstand.
There are many requirements and capabilities to consider in order to make your wire rope project a success. Let us work with you to determine the correct manufacturing process. We can help to ensure the wire rope is made correctly and as efficiently as possible.
Please click the “Request More Info” button below to learn more and to discuss your specific needs.